Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Graft of the Glue Gun

JP recently referred to some correspondence we had, in his post about The Pit. I thought I'd discuss the context here, as it's an odd story.

The Penny Seats are currently hunting for plays for our 2012 season, and I've been doing a lot of searching and reading. Recently, I found a copy of The Gift of the Gorgon by Peter Shaffer, better known for Amadeus and Equus. Played in the Pit in the early 90s, with Judi Dench and Jeremy Northam; themes of vengeance, artistic inspiration, passion. I took it home.

Fascinating read - harrowing, yet still in its way seductive, with lots of possibilities for clever staging, alongside a few truly insane images. So far so good, though the part of Helen seemed a doozy.

I consulted my friend The Internet to read up on past productions. Sure enough, I could find one or two articles on the original - but nothing past that. A passing mention here or there. In about 20 years? I entertained the possibility that one Internet search might not tell the whole story, but something seemed off: I wondered if companies simply avoid this one.

As luck would have it, JP called that same day to catch up. At an opportune moment in the conversation, I asked if he'd ever heard of it. He hadn't. I told him my suspicion, and he said he'd look it up in Judi Dench's autobiography.

A day later, he sent me a passage through one of those sites that lets you look inside books (I may edit this later, but tonight I'm too lazy to do links).

Dench writes that she hated doing the show, and contends that if she'd given the script a closer look she'd have passed. Though the production drew sold-out houses, she wanted out, and even made a move toward closing the show with a contract issue.

What could have made her hate the part so much? As I said before, it's a doozy, but perhaps it's even, uh, doozier than I thought. To be sure, the part asks a lot, and takes an actor on a unique and scary journey - but was it the subject matter, the darkness the character falls toward, the fatigue, the writing itself? Dench's words are unclear on the specifics, and she soon refocuses her attention on how much she hated working at the Pit.

Hmm. I don't want to be scared off, but perhaps a closer read will be necessary. I don't think I'd usually discuss our play selection process here, but for the moment, I don't see the harm.

Thoughts? Come across any scripts or shows that simultaneously intrigue and repel you?

1 comment: