Thursday, May 5, 2011

When You're Not Needed

Hey guys~~
Anyone else come to a point in their theatrical career when they realize they're no longer needed? I just realized this last night, as we have our CAIRO STORIES dress rehearsal, and I received an invitation to visit a friend in upstate Connecticut. My default, "NO! I have dress rehearsal!" Then I realized, I have an amazing, competent team, and whenever I AM at rehearsal, I'm not really even doing anything. They create the magic all on their own, I simply put them in place.

It's freeing and exhilarating, yet, also a bit lonely...

xo~S.

3 comments:

  1. You were needed a whole heckuva lot to get them to that point, though, and your presence - even while not entirely active - probably does wonders for the cast's peace of mind. Great to hear that the feeling in this show inspires trust rather than helplessness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a word: yes. Yes, I have felt that -- the past year has been all about the recurring need to adjust to my own superfluity. But what I keep discovering is every time I accept that a rehearsal or a show can do just fine without me, I turn around and discover a whole world of projects, initiatives, and problems to solve that I've been putting off addressing for YEARS because I was always running from one urgent crisis to the next.

    ...and, on that note, I should stop playing around with the internet and go write up that long-term marketing plan...

    ~ c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally have not felt that in stage management work (thankfully!) but remember it well from directing and somewhat from producing.

    In production managing it was reassuring to see how coming to the shows (after rehearsals had completed) inspired a sense of reassurance and ease amongst the cast members. Sounds like you may have a similar relationship in place!

    ReplyDelete