Thursday, May 19, 2011

Personal/Pleasure

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on mixing business with pleasure. How close do you all get to your theater fellows? Who is in a position of management/authority?

As someone who spends 95% of her time working on the theater, it doesn't leave much time for outside associations or dating. And I watch my staff and various casts and production teams get oh-so-close as theater groups do, and I wonder how much is appropriate for me to indulge in. Out for drinks occasionally? Developing close friendships? Can I *gasp* DATE someone who works for me?

What kind of boundaries do you all keep/have witnessed, and what do you think works the best?

2 comments:

  1. I believe the best guidance on the topic comes from the good professor Beck Hansen:

    I'm mixing business with leather,
    Christmas with Heather,
    Freaks flock together,
    And make all the b-boys scream.
    All right, turn it up now.

    Okay, so in all seriousness, I think that if you're in theatre, it is as you said - your close connections are more likely to be theatre people rather than in a more ordinary social life. Not that boundaries aren't necessary, but I feel like the lines blur pretty consistently with theatre folk, and it can be hard to hold yourself apart from that.

    On another level, it seems to me that developing friendships with other artists is 1) nice, and 2) can lead to better working relationships; socializing isn't violating some corporate code of conduct - it's enjoying your life with people you like. Dating is dicier, but honestly, I think it's fine as long as it's approached in a responsible way, with the caveat that it's impossible to be 100% sure that it won't have a negative impact in the long term. Anyway, I wouldn't exactly be in a position to preach against it. (Or would I?) However, I've also seen situations where certain miscommunications have led to no small amount of awkwardness, so I advise being as open as possible with people (which, may I add, I also often advise in the course of things anyway).

    Just 'cause you're the boss doesn't mean you've got to be lonely; if you forge these relationships with respect (as you seem to do naturally) then I don't think you need to hold back from having a good time.

    ReplyDelete